- Jim Cramer today delivered his “State of the Market” address.
- Told viewers that the market is stronger than they might think, but has an Achilles’ heel holding it back.
- From today’s market action, Cramer said it’s clear, there’s life in this market, and that companies are doing better than expected.
- There are positives in just about every sector in the market, including technology, consumer goods, biotech, retail and some industrials and banking names.
- Then why is the market tanking so badly?
- Cramer said the financials are killing the market, and it’s impossible to separate them.
- The markets, are not that dire, but the stress in the financials is palpable.
- Cramer introduced his “Obama Accountability Index”.
- This is a group of six stocks that he says will grade President Barack Obama’s success in fixing the nation’s ailing markets and economy.
- The index includes Bank of America (BAC) and Citigroup (C), two stocks which he said will show the health of the financials.
- Also included was Caterpillar (CAT) and General Motors (GM), which will show whether the infrastructure stimulus plan is working and whether the auto industry can be saved.
- The final two stocks for the Obama Index were General Electric (GE) and JP Morgan (JPM).
- General Electric, he said, is a gauge for the economy as a whole, while JP Morgan is an indicator of how the “healthy” bank stocks are doing.
- Using this index of stocks, it should be possible to determine just how well (or not so well) Obama is doing at saving the markets.
Here’s the list of stocks from Cramer’s Mad Money Show for Wednesday, January 21, 2009.
Note: Dow stocks mentioned tonight: None tonight!
Thumbs down for these stocks………..
BCS – Barclays PLC $4.15
CBS – CBS Corp. $7.14
CME – Chicago Mercantile Exchange $180.58
ERTS – Electronic Arts $17.56
HUN – Huntsman Corp. $3.04
ZION – Zions Bancorp $15.06
*A CHARITABLE TRUST STOCK.